2010 was a busy year and as I reflect on the people I have worked with, the places I have traveled and the projects completed, I am both thankful and humbled. So many of you are doing such amazing work and with a passion that is motivating and inspiring! One of my recent lunch meetings brought up the concept that most of our time can be divided into four categories: play, learn, eat and shop. So, here are my recommendations for 2011….enjoy!
- Day-cation in your city
- Do a Pajama Run – after bedtime, go out and get ice cream in your pajamas…invite friends to meet you there!
- Find your old stuffed animal, baseball or some other childhood toy and put it on your desk to remind you to dream and have fun!
- Read Season of Life, Living a Life That Matters and The Giving Tree
- Use Google Reader to organize all those blogs, e-newsletters and websites you know you should be reading but can’t seem to find the time for… (watch a video on youtube to learn more about Google Reader)
- Build or expand your network…who do you call when you need advice or want to talk through an idea, how many new people have you added to your contact list in the last 30 days? Read Referral of a Lifetime if you need a jumpstart.
- Coconut Cookie Drops — 5 cups of coconut, 1 can of Pet Milk, 1/2cup of flour, 1 cup of mini-chocolate chips (optional)…mix all ingredients together, place 2 tbsp sized scoops on a cookie tray, bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes
- Feta Appetizer — mix feta and cream cheese together, line a bowl or serving dish with plastic wrap, sprinkle pine nuts in the bottom, put a layer of the cheese mixture, spread pesto, add another layer of cheese mixture, spread a layer of diced sun-dried tomatoes, put in final layer of cheese mixture…place in fridge for 2-3 hours…when ready to serve, turn the dish upside down on a platter and remove the plastic wrap, surround with crackers and serve
- Tortilla Soup — cook 4 chicken breasts and shred, sauté 1 onion, 2 jalapenos, and 2 tsp of garlic…add the chicken, 1 can each of dark red kidney beans, corn, tomato soup, chicken broth, beef broth, diced tomatoes (28.5 oz), 2 sliced carrots, and 1 cup of water. Stir in ¾ cup of fresh chopped cilantro, ½ cup of picante sauce, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, and ½ tsp red pepper…Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer approx. 30 minutes. Garnish with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado cubes.
- Etsy.com — All original works and selling everything from clothing to artwork
- ElizaPage.com — Amazing Austin-based store that sells fun and unique jewelry
- Despair.com — Just great to look around, especially when you need a laugh!
- ThinkGeek.com — Fantastic gifts for co-workers, volunteers, and always sparks creativity
I hope these suggestions get you thinking about what you want your 2011 to be about and how you plan to spend it. I have definitely been reminded by every client this year that life is precious and every moment is to be enjoyed and lived to the fullest. Thank you for your support and I look forward to a fulfilling, meaningful, and FUN 2011! Happy New Year!